A good place to start for example, is by replacing plastic bags with a environmentally friendly reusable alternative.
We are here to help you ditch the plastic with this easy to sew, durable and reusable fabric shoppers. These bags are not only great for carrying your groceries home, but also works well for carrying around your favourite things and are perfect for the beach.
You will need:
- A piece of durable/structure fabric, such as canvas, cut to size 91cm x 48,5cm.
- 1,5m webbing, petersham or twill tape that is 25mm wide for the straps
- Matching thread
- Fold your piece of fabric in half (right sides together), with the short sides 100% aligned
- Cut out a rectangle (7,5cm x 6cm) in the corners where the fabric is folded.
- Straight stitch the two sides with a 1,5cm seam allowance. Finish seams with an overlocker or zig zag stitch.
- Take each corner and pull the fabric apart until seam lines up with the fold line.
- Straight stitch with a 1,5cm seam allowance. Finish seams with an overlocker of zig zag stitch.
- Turn the bag right side out and push out the boxed corners.
- Cut the tape in half to create 2 x 75cm straps.
- Mark 13cm from each side seam on the right side of the bag.
- Staystich the edge of the tape to the edge of the fabric, next to the markings you have made.
- Repeat for the other strap.
- Fold top of the bag 1cm towards wrong side of the fabric, iron in.
- Fold top over another 2,5cm, iron in.
- Stitch down this fold, close to the edge.
- Flip the strap up and stitch the strap down, close to the edge. Backstitch across the whole width of strap to secure it.
- Give it a final press and use your bag to your heart's desire.